Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An afternoon making Macarons

Maybe a year ago, a friend made me discover "Macarons". I was in love. These little things tasted like heaven!

Macarons should not be mixed with what the english knows as Macaroons. According to Wikipedia, the macaron is a traditional French pastry, made of egg whites, almond powder, icing sugar and sugar and dating back to the 18th century. This sweet pastry came out of the French courts' baker's oven as round meringue-like domes with a flat base.

So it was perfectly normal that on my recent trip to France, I was to try to eat as many as I could and find the best ones. As expected, the most fabulous ones where at Ladurée. They were magnificient. The waiting line was worth waiting that is for sure. The macaron equivalent of what Magnolia is for cupcakes.

Of course, Macarons are practically impossible to find them in Ottawa so last weekend, I decided to try to make them.

OMG!!! They were so good. Not Ladurée good of course but with some practice, I might just get there! :-) The only problem is that I have been on a sugar rush since Saturday :-)
Anyway, it just takes a bit of imagination to try different filling and flavours et voilà! And they would be nice wedding favors! I so want to try to make some with Champagne jelly in the middle!

Here are some pictures of the first day of baking them:






2 comments:

  1. I've been dying to find Macarons in Ottawa! Too bad you don't sell them- I'd be your biggest customer. ;) Looks like they turned out really well, very Laduree!

    ReplyDelete